Looking for an easy orange cake recipe? We’ve got the perfect one for you which uses just a few ingredients. What’s more, you can easily turn this recipe into a nutritious turmeric cake. Turmeric is an ancient spice traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine for its anti-inflammatory properties — and adding it to your citrus cake is a delicious way to reap its potential benefits.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp orange zest (from a fresh orange)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients, including flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and turmeric. Once the dry ingredients are in the bowl, use a spoon or spatula to stir them together until they are combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you stir so that all ingredients are incorporated.
- In a different bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Once the wet ingredients are combined, you can slowly add them to the dry ingredients. Be sure to mix thoroughly until all of the clumps are dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased pan, and bake for 30 to 35 at 170C / 338F. Then insert a fork into the centre. If it comes out clean, your turmeric cake is baked to perfection.
If lemon is your go-to flavour, swap out the orange extract with lemon syrup to create a delicious lemon syrup cake.
Looking for more turmeric desserts? Our blog features a collection of goodies that use this versatile spice. From breakfast to dessert, there's sure to be a recipe that will please your palate. And with each dish containing a healthy dose of turmeric, you'll also get an extra boost of nutrition. So why not give one of our recipes a try? Your taste buds and body will thank you.