Falafels are a popular vegetarian and vegan option with 100% plant-based ingredients packed full of phytonutrients, protein, fibre, complex carbohydrates, calcium and vitamin C. Turmeric is traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine for its potent anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. Adding it to your falafel mixture is a delicious way to harness the potential health benefits offered by this golden spice.
For the turmeric falafels:
- 1 cup roughly chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup fresh coriander
- 1 cup green kale
- ½ cup roughly chopped red capsicum (seeds removed)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (can be substituted with nuts or seeds)
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (dried chickpeas need to be soaked overnight)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp TurmeriX powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
For the tahini sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp water
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, coriander, kale, red capsicum, sunflower seeds, and chickpeas in a food processor. Pulse for about 5 seconds, scrape down the sides, then blend again for five more seconds. Be careful not to over-blend — The chickpeas should be finely chopped but not mushy.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, then add the spices, lemon juice and chickpea flour. Stir to combine evenly. If the mixture appears too wet, add more chickpea flour as needed.
- Using your hands, scoop out 2 tbsp of mixture, roll it into a ball and pat down slightly.
- Warm olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Cook the falafel balls for about 3 minutes on each side until light golden brown. Alternatively, you can bake them in the oven at 180 deg for 7 minutes on each side.
- Prepare the tahini sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly add water and whisk until desired consistency is reached.
Wondering what to serve with turmeric falafels? Add your falafels into a whole grain pita pocket and garnish with tahini sauce and cos lettuce for some extra crunch.Looking for more delicious and healthy recipes? Our blog features a collection of recipes that use turmeric in creative and delectable ways. Whether you're looking for a new breakfast idea, a healthy snack or a hearty dinner dish, you're sure to find something to suit your taste.